Fire destroys Newington home

The burned-out and destroyed home, just west of Newington's main corner. Zandbergen photo, Nation Valley News

NEWINGTON — A fire that apparently began in the kitchen destroyed a Newington home over supper hour on Thursday evening, Aug. 18.

No one was hurt in the blaze though it has left a family without a home, said neighbour Sharron Merpaw, who observed firefighters on scene from the Newington, Ingleside and Long Sault stations.

“It was a grease fire that started about 6:30 p.m. The family all got out,” reported Merpaw from her post behind the counter at the nearby Quik Curve Convenience store.

She said it was a mother and her two older children — 18 and 21 years old — who were in the home at the time. “She’s my best friend,” added Merpaw. “It’s very unfortunate what happened, very unfortunate.”

The family had feared for the life of their two cats but discovered them both OK under a tree, she said.

A stone’s throw from the Newington Fire Station, a temporary orange fence now surrounds the charred rubble and partially collapsed structure at 3913 County Rd. 12.

Zandbergen photo, Nation Valley News

Zandbergen photo, Nation Valley News

Scroll down to share this article. Scroll down to search nationvalleynews.com. Scroll down to comment.