SOUTH STORMONT — The SD&G OPP are reminding the public to lock cars after a number of items were taken from vehicles parked overnight in South Stormont, Jan. 11-12.
Cash, wallets and personal identification items were stolen when several vehicles were entered at residences on Moss Drive and Chantine Drive, according to police.
As part of the detachment’s “Lock It OR Lose It” program, officers have been checking parked vehicles for overlooked safety precautions. Notices are placed on windshields documenting the safety shortcomings and offering theft-prevention tips.
Police offer the following advice:
- Always roll up your vehicle’s windows, lock the doors and pocket the key.
- If you have a garage, use it and lock the door as well as your vehicle.
- Keep your vehicle registration certificate/proof of insurance on you at all times.
- Always park your vehicle in a well-lit area.
- Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view. Put them in the trunk.
- Never leave your vehicle unattended while it is running.