NATION VALLEY — The Grenville County OPP would like to remind the public that scammers will prey on those seeking employment. Fraudulent job advertisement has been placed in local newspapers, online and in text messages.
The fraudulent ads are often vague, the criteria and experience for the applicant is minimal and the pay is above average. The scammer looks to attract as many job seekers as possible.
Here are some tips to spot a job scam:
- Always be wary of work from home or secret shopper positions.
- Be suspicious of jobs advertised with a generic title, such as caregiver or customer service representative.
- Be wary of vague job requirements and job descriptions.
- If you are in contact with them by email, or phone, it is often unprofessional. Watch for grammatical errors and possibly poor English.
- Often the boss or employer is from out of town and unclear about his location.
- Watch out for on-the-spot job offers. You may be an excellent candidate for the job, but beware of offers made without a face to face interview.
- They may ask you for your bank account information to set up a direct deposit or to transfer money into your account.
- They may ask for personal information such as your date of birth and social insurance number.
- Don’t fall for an overpayment scam. No company would overpay an employee and then ask them to wire the money elsewhere.
- They may want you to pay for something, for example they may ask you to purchase a type of software or pay for a resume review. Legitimate employers will not ask for money or try to sell you services or products.
Advertisement – Winchester BMR
Ready to dive into a home improvement project? Winchester BMR currently has loads of laminate flooring on clearance. Or get rustic with the store’s ample supply of genuine old barn board, beams and tin. Plan that gleaming kitchen renovation. Shed a new light on your interior. Do it all with Winchester BMR. Learn more.
Advertisement – Open Art Classes with Carrie Keller
“Because anybody can paint” ….
Local artist Carrie Keller will teach you the fundamentals of painting, at your own pace, during a weekly Open Painting Class conducted in her comfortable Winchester home. Call now.