Shop destroyed by fire in Chesterville; owner thankful for fire department response

Chesterville firefighters attend to the scene on South St. East. Zandbergen photo, Nation Valley News

CHESTERVILLE — A Chesterville shop went up in flames yesterday, drawing a full response from local firefighters who quelled the blaze after smoke was seen coming from the South St. East property — across from Chesterville Bowling Lanes — around 3 p.m.

They returned briefly this morning after the steel-covered building flared up again.

Now a burned-out hulk, the substantial structure is located behind the home of the owner, Todd Laplante, who commends firefighters for extinguishing the fire and preventing its spread to the nearby bungalow. “The North Dundas Fire Department did a good job,” says Laplante, expressing thanks on behalf of himself and his family. “They were awesome.”

“Not a clue,” he says, when asked what might have sparked the fire in the hobby shop. He expects a visit from his insurance adjustor today.

No one was injured in the fire.

Nation Valley News captured photos and video of the smoke and flame emerging from the large tin-covered structure as firefighters tackled the blaze around 3:30 p.m. yesterday.

 

Firefighters douse the large tin structure, as seen from a public area behind the property. Zandbergen photo, Nation Valley News

 

Scroll down to share this article. Scroll down to search nationvalleynews.com. Scroll down to comment.