Quebec super speeders come to abrupt halt in S. Dundas — lose wheels, licenses

An SD&G OPP cruiser. Smith photo, Nation Valley News file

SOUTH DUNDAS — Two lead-footed Quebecers ran headlong into Ontario’s on-the-spot punishment for exceeding the speed limit by 50 km/h or more.

Super speeders in the category trigger this province’s stunt-driving provisions, including the immediate seizure of driver’s licenses and vehicles for a week. And that’s before answering to charges in court, where more stiff penalties apply if found guilty.

SD&G OPP officers stopped both Highway 401 motorists as they travelled through South Dundas, Jan. 20-21. The 34-year-old Montreal man and the 29-year-old Mirabel woman were respectively clocked at 157 km/h and 152 km/h in the highway’s 100 km/h zone. They suddenly found themselves without their wheels or their drivers’ permits, as per the stunt driving law.

126 calls for service

SDG — The SD&G OPP responded to 126 calls for service, Jan. 19-22.

Last week’s incidents handled by the detachment included seven domestic disputes, one mischief offence, three assaults, one threat call, one theft, 18 motor vehicle collisions, one drug offence related occurrence, one mental health act call, three bail violation calls, one family dispute, three neighbour disputes, three landlord tenant issues, one fraud-related occurrence, three harassment calls, three landlord tenant act occurrences, 18 calls for police assistance, 17 traffic complaints and hazards and seven traffic enforcement occurrences. Officers also carried out 10 RIDE checks.

S. Dundas domestic

SOUTH DUNDAS — A 33-year-old South Dundas man was arrested and charged with mischief and uttering threats during a Jan. 21 altercation with his girlfriend.

SD&G OPP officers responded to the domestic situation shortly before noon. The detachment says the man damaged property at the South Dundas residence and threatened the victim.

He was released and scheduled to appear Feb. 20 in Cornwall court.

S. Stormont domestic

SOUTH STORMONT — A 24-year-old South Stormont man has been charged with three counts of mischief plus a count of failing to comply with conditions of an undertaking, following a Jan. 20 altercation with his common-law wife.

Police responded to the South Stormont residence at 10:15 a.m. The detachment says the man damaged property at the home during the domestic dispute.
He was held in custody pending a bail appearance in Cornwall court.

As with other domestic disputes, police have withheld his name to protect the identity of the victim.

Scroll down to share this article. Scroll down to search nationvalleynews.com. Scroll down to comment.