CORNWALL — Cary Carriere, 47, of Grand Falls, NB has been charged after travelling the wrong way on Highway 401, shortly after 3 p.m. on Tuesday. Carriere was travelling westbound in the eastbound lanes. He was stopped and then failed to comply with police requests and continued on Highway 401. The commercial rental vehicle continued on the Highway 401 travelling westbound in the eastbound lanes and collided with an eastbound passenger vehicle. The commercial motor vehicle then fled the scene of the collision.
He was once again stopped by police on Boundary Road, Cornwall.
The lone adult male driver of the eastbound vehicle was taken to hospital with serious non-life threatening injuries.
Carriere was not injured and was taken into Police custody.
The arresting officer sustained minor injuries during the initial stop.
Carriere was charged with:
• Flight causing bodily harm
• Two counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle cause bodily harm
• Obstructing an officer
• Assaulting an officer
• Failure to stop at the scene of accident involving bodily harm
• Personation with intent to avoid arrest, prosecution or obstructing justice
• Two counts of failure to comply with conditions of probation
• Failure to comply with conditions of recognizance
• Possession of a credit card
He was held in custody pending bail in Cornwall court.