To be presented and donated to Morewood Memorial Committee
MOREWOOD — This community’s exquisite Cenotaph has been commemorated in a new painting as the 100th anniversary of its original dedication approaches.
The Chesterville & District Historical Society (CDHS) recently commissioned professional artist and former Morewood resident Gordon Coulthart to create the work depicting the Cenotaph located on the village’s main corner .
As was the case in the founding of the soaring monument itself nearly a century ago, the money for the latest initiative was raised by public subscription. CDHS will donate the painting to the Morewood Memorial Committee during a public April 30 presentation evening. Coulthart, now a resident of Ottawa, will also be available to answer questions at the event, which begins 7 p.m. at the Morewood Community Centre.
The Morewood Cenotaph came into being in the aftermath of World War I.
For Canadians, the ‘Great War for Civilization’ began August 4, 1914, when Great Britain declared war on Germany — following the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, heir to the throne of Austria-Hungary in Sarajevo on June 28 that year. More than 60,000 Canadians had given their lives by the time the Allies and Central Powers — Germany and Austria — signed an armistice on November 11, 1918. Afterward, many communities across Canada erected memorials to their war dead — including Morewood.
In 1919 a Memorial Committee composed of Albert Glasgow, Hector Carruthers, Allan Smirle, William Bouck and Albert Countryman signed a contract with JP Laurin monuments in Ottawa to construct a monument to those in the Morewood area who died while serving their country. Groups and individuals donated money for its construction. The Glasgow family of Morewood commissioned a statue sculpted of Captain Ernest Glasgow, which sits atop the Cenotpah’s four granite slabs. The statue was dedicated in early July 1921. Plaques honouring locals who died in World War II and the Korean War were added after those later conflicts.
Update: The artist was honoured to see his painting — titled A Fallen Leaf and inscribed with “Their Name Liveth for Evermore” — (shown in his Facebook post below) unveiled at the village’s Community Hall in front of donors and invited guests on April 30. Among those in attendance were Canadian Forces members from Leitrim Station.
Scroll down to share this article on social media. Scroll down to search nationvalleynews.com