Lawyer says Jimmy Wise to plead not guilty to murdering Raymond Collison

Lawyer Ian Carter speaks on behalf of Jimmy Wise, outside Cornwall court last Friday. Zandbergen photo, Nation Valley News

CORNWALL — Accused murderer Jimmy Wise, 75, spent the weekend in the infirmary at the Ottawa Carleton Detention Centre (OCDC) where he is due by video link for a Cornwall bail hearing today.

The Winchester resident intends to plead not guilty, according to his lawyer, Ian Carter, who spoke with the media last Friday after two Cornwall court appearances where his client briefly appeared in person.

The decision to place Wise at the Ottawa jail facility was made at the second of those two back-to-back hearings, June 1.

Appearing dishevelled and geriatric as he sat low in a wheelchair pushed by a court officer, Wise was barely audible as he answered his name to the justice of peace — on both occasions. He indicated that he was hard of hearing.

The OPP arrested Wise last Thursday, charging him with first-degree murder in the death of Chesterville-area resident Raymond Arnold Collision whose remains were discovered in 2014, five years after he went missing.

Assistant Crown attorney Jason Pilon sought and received an order preventing Wise from communicating with a list of 31 individuals who may be connected with the case as victims or witnesses.

“He’s in a wheelchair, he has difficulty walking, he had a stroke a number of years ago,” Carter said of his client’s condition during media scrum afterward. “The initial concern I have is ensuring his good health when he’s being detained.”

“I can’t say anything about his state of mind at this stage, other than the fact that the instructions I have are that he’ll be pleading not guilty to this charge.”

Carter acknowledged the defence may consider asking for a change of venue given the media coverage, history and “issues of reputation” following his client.  “That will certainly be one issue we’re looking at … whether that necessitates a change of venue application will be something we’ll consider.”

Given the requirements of Wise’s condition, including his need for medication, it was not immediately clear where he might have been held overnight after his arrest, before the court sent him to the OCDC infirmary.

When asked, his lawyer said he didn’t know.

Wise was first publicly connected to the Collison case in November 2016 when police charged him with possessing and trafficking in stolen property — the result of a tip yielded during the cold-case investigation into the death of the 58-year-old victim. But those charges and others were stayed in Morrisburg court last October.

Below, Ian Carter, lawyer for Jimmy Wise, addresses the media after his client’s first court appearances in Cornwall Court last Friday, June 1, 2018.


Scroll down to share this article. Scroll down to search Scroll down to comment.