CORNWALL – Last year MP Lauzon was honoured to introduce and present the SDSG
Canada 150 Service Award to 150 deserving individuals from across Stormont-Dundas-South Glengarry who had given back to their community. The response was overwhelmingly positive and we were thrilled to be able to do something small to recognize and celebrate the wonderful volunteers our region has.
It was therefore decided to make this a full time feature. Although the 150th has passed, MP Lauzon will continue on with the tradition of recognizing outstanding individuals with the SDSG Service Awards.
If you know someone who has made a real positive impact on our communities, please nominate them for consideration for this award.
The SDSG Service Award is a commemoration award in recognition of residents in Stormont-Dundas-South Glengarry who have made outstanding contributions to their community. Nominations for this award are open to deserving individuals including educators, artists, athletes, scientists, coaches, entrepreneurs, emergency responders, community volunteers, activity organizers, and other everyday heroes striving to make their community better. There are many ways people enrich the lives of others and we want to celebrate their contributions.
If you know someone who fits this description, please consider nominating them for consideration for this award. Nominations will be reviewed by an independent volunteer panel who will recommend recipients to MP Lauzon’s office. To respect the privacy of nominees, all nominations will be kept confidential and request nominators do the same.
- Nominee must be an individual who resides within the boundaries of Stormont – Dundas – South Glengarry (no groups).
- the activities earning the nomination must have been conducted for the benefit of their community through volunteerism, sports, arts or other community building activities.
- The SDSG Service Award cannot be given posthumously.
- One cannot nominate oneself, one’s spouse or a member of one’s immediate family and no one on the volunteer panel selecting recipients may nominate an individual.
- Nominations are to be submitted in writing on the form provided with all supporting materials.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Supporting material may be included and as always postage is free to my office at the House of Commons, or can be dropped off at our constituency office.
- All supporting letters must describe the author’s direct knowledge of the value and impact of the nominee’s contribution to their community as well as the author’s perspective about why the nominee should receive this recognition.
- Nominations may include newspaper articles or other materials describing the nominee’s contributions.
- Nominations must be received by 5:00 p.m. on June 15.
- Nominations will be considered by a volunteer panel comprised of people from Stormont – Dundas – South Glengarry.
- The panel may contact a nominator if clarification is required, but will otherwise not contact nominators or nominees on the status of their application.
- Applications are expected to remain confidential: knowledge of the nomination should be restricted to those who are compiling the nomination and the nominee.
- Deadline for nominations is Friday, June 15 at 5 p.m.
Selections will be made by June 22.
Successful recipients will be notified by phone after June 22, and before June 28.
Recipients will be awarded their medals at Canada Day festivities across the riding (based on the location of the communities closest to the winners).
Nomination packages are available online at www.guylauzon.ca as were also being distributed to all residents of SDSG through a mailer which should have arrived last week.