Candidate for South Dundas Councillor
64 years old
Secondary school teacher at Russell High School
1. What prompted your decision to run for council this time?
I enjoyed making a positive contribution during my term on council and believe my skills and experience in the public and private sector can help move South Dundas forward. In addition, I thrive on challenges and have a passion for finding creative solutions to problems.
2. What are the key strengths you would bring to the job if elected?
I am a secondary school teacher and professional accountant. I have strong analytical skills, am a good communicator, and have a broad range of management experience. This includes experience as Treasurer of the Winchester District Memorial Hospital and Director of the Ontario Dairy Council.
3. What are the top few issues that you see facing the Township?
South Dundas is facing many issues. This includes high levels of taxation, aging infrastructure, challenges recruiting and retaining doctors, and the on-going risk presented by our aging and small schools. However, the most important issue may be a lack of strategic direction and what seems, at times, like a lack of understanding that all of these issues are inter-connected.
4. Is there anything you hope to change in the Township?
I am hopeful that I can help make South Dundas better stewards of our tax dollars by improving decision making. In addition, I would like to see a more formalized process in place to help preserve our history. Finally, I hope to help implement changes that will improve customer service and encourage volunteers.
5. How is your message being received during this campaign?
I have had positive feedback and am hopeful that support for my campaign will continue to grow.
6. Voting begins on Oct. 17 — ironically the day of marijuana legalization. The new council will have to decide soon if your municipality will permit storefront cannabis sales, or opt out altogether. Should your municipality allow pot shops or ‘just say no’?
I am interested in hearing from more people on this issue before taking a firm position.