KEMPTVILLE — The 2019 Rural Summit Organizing Committee along with ITM Events proudly presents the 2019 Rural Summit. This special event will be taking place on Friday April 12 and Saturday April 13, at Parish Hall at the Kemptville Campus Education and Community Hub (the former Kemptville College) at 830 Prescott Street in Kemptville.
Interested in starting or growing an agricultural business? Or are you one of the many people that we call the agri-curious? The 2019 Rural Summit is your opportunity to learn, share and network with local farmers, business owners, public servants, politicians and related industry professionals.
Day One Agenda:
Friday, April 12
8:00 a.m. – Registration, networking coffee and pastries.
9:00 a.m. – Opening remarks and welcome – The Honourable Michael Barrett, MP, The Honourable Steve Clark, Minister of Municipal Affairs & Housing and Nancy Peckford, Mayor of North Grenville.
10:00 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. – Round one of breakout sessions.
- Grants and Educational Opportunities in Agriculture.
- Regulatory Changes to Food Premises Regulations.
- Alternative Farming Methods – Vertical Farming.
- How Organic Farming is a Win-Win-Win for Farmers, Economic Development and Rural Communities.
11:00 a.m. – Trade Show Opens At W.B George Centre Gym (Closes at 6:00pm)
11:00 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. – Round two of breakout sessions.
- Farm Succession Planning
- Kemptville Chicks – “Farm to Table” In Action
- Upper Canada Creamery – Key Elements In Agri-food Startup
12:00 p.m. – 12:45 p.m. – Round three of breakout sessions.
- Blue Gypsy Wines – The Successes and Challenges
- Raising Heritage Livestock
- Automation and Robotics in the Dairy Industry
- Simple, Can-do Ideas For Small Rural Towns and Municipalities
12:45 p.m – 2:15 p.m. – Farm To Table Buffet Lunch – Group #1 (12:45pm) – Group #2 (1:15pm)
12:45 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. – Trade Show Visiting Time and Networking.
2:15 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. – Round four of breakout sessions.
- Pinball Brewing – Small Batch Beer Brewing
- Gardening Optimization – Getting the Most Out of Your Garden
- Re-discovering the Co-operative Business Model
- Respecting Food Sources – Everyone’s Responsibility
3:00pm – 3:30pm – Remarks – UCLG Warden Pat Sayeau, North Grenville Deputy Mayor Jim McManaman, and special guest TBC.
3:30pm – 5:00pm – Panel Discussion – “Cannabis In Canada. Where We Are and Where We’re Going”. A conversation about the future economic opportunities in the cannabis sector.
5:00pm – Closing remarks and recognition.
5:00pm – 6:00pm – Final Trade Show Hour
Day Two Agenda, Saturday April 13
9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. – Business Development Workshops
- How to transition to organic production successfully (for farmers) and how to use the growth of the organic sector for your community’s advantage (non-farmers)
- Farm succession planning
- Creating a not your typical business plan
- Funding and financing options for your business through Grenville Community Futures DC
11:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. – Agri-food Bus Tour With Picnic Lunch – “All Aboard Agri-food Tourism Workshop” with tour guide Moe Garahan of Just Food. “Take a guided look behind the curtain at how these agri-food businesses operate”. Site visits included are:
- Upper Canada Creamery
- Mountain Orchards
- Blue Gypsy Wines
11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Special Tour of the Kemptville Campus Education and Community Hub – get a guided tour by campus staff of some of the beautiful facilities, heritage buildings, and natural assets.
No matter what your level of interest in agriculture and local food, there’s something for everyone at the 2019 Rural Summit. Register now at www.ruralsummit.ca. See you on April 12 and 13! For information about partnership and trade show opportunities, email firstname.lastname@example.org.