ST. ANDREWS WEST — The Raisin Region Conservation Authority’s (RRCA) 47th Annual Raisin River Canoe Race left St. Andrews West on a sunny April morning, and wound its way downstream to Williamstown. The forecasted afternoon rain didn’t stop the 207 canoes and kayaks comprising of 350 paddlers of all ages from near and far, who entertained spectators all along the 30 km route.
Unfortunately, the Martintown Dam was closed for paddlers due to safety concerns from the high water this year. The river flow was 1,300 cubic feet per second, more than double the flow from last year at 450 cubic feet per second.
Several competitors pulled out after experiencing an early cold-water dip at the first set of rapids, the Devil’s Chute; a total of 42 boats did not finish the race this year.
In the clip below, canoeists and kayakers portage arrive in Martintown and portage through the village.
The fastest time down the river was the Pro Boat Tandem of Christopher Weber (of Chelsea) and Pierre Lavictoire (of Gatineau) in a time of 2:19:12.
For the full interim results, visit https://www.rrca.on.ca/results.
Other top finishers by category were:
- Pro Boats: Christoph Weber (Chelsea) & Pierre Lavictoire (Gatineau), Claude Roux (Vaudreuil-Dorion) & Pierre Pinard (L’Orignal), Michael De Abreu (Arnprior) & Tom Phillips (Ottawa).
- 17-Foot Open: Gaetan Plourde (Ottawa) & Jeff Brainard (Tweed), Harold Walker & Steve Waler (Ottawa), Colin Smith & Jacob Smith (Ottawa).
- Adult and Youth: Cody Van Loon & Corey Van Loon (St. Andrews West), Kim Lapierre & Allison Lapierre (Russell), Reid Baker & Nicholas Baker (Avonmore).
- Long Kayaks: Robert Ross (Kingston), Mike Broekhoven (Kingston), Richard Germain (Pointe-Des-Cascades)
- Short Kayaks: Ian Walter (Montréal), Denis Lefebvre (Whitefish Falls), Rick Clancy (Gloucester)
- Double Kayaks: Wendy Bray Van Loon (St. Andrews West) & Tracey Bray Bercier (Moose Creek), Jared McDonald (Morrisburg) & Marcel Wolfensburger (Ingleside), Olivia McDonald (Lunenburg) & Anna Parks (Avonmore)
- Men’s Recreational: Michael Creamer & Michel Archambault (Dorval), Marco Lalonde & Antoine Lalonde (Plantagenet), Simon Dessureault (Les Cedres) & Pierre-Olivier Quesnel (Laval)
- Women’s Recreational: Denise Sauve (Summerstown) & Wendy Murphy (Iroquois), Tamara Flannigan (Whitefish Falls) & Janna Sibley (Coldwater), Carolyn Odecki & Linda Payne (Ottawa)
- Mixed Recreational: Sarah Lessard (Les Cedres) & Jeff Defeo (Chester), Ian Levac & Anik Levac (Valleyfield), Carol Grant & Eppo Van Houten (Deep River)
- Student Kayaks: Dakota Wylie (Cornwall), Elisa Pommer (Cornwall)
- Student Men: Connor Hutchinson (Ingleside) & William Holmes (Lunenburg), Danny Flaro & Ben Vandrish (Williamstown), Alex Dingwall (Ingleside) & Hunter Leeman (Lunenburg)
- Student Women: Kaytlin Andrews (Bainsville) & Elizabeth Macdougall (Williamstown)
- SUP: Rachelle Price (London)
Thanks to the support from their sponsors and volunteers, they were able to deliver another successful Race again this year!