CHESTERVILLE — Music, merriment and, of course — art — will flow with fun and vibrancy through downtown Chesterville like the South Nation River at full freshet this weekend.
A free event, the 9th annual Art on the Waterfront (AOTW) kicks off this Saturday morning, June 1st, running through Sunday, June 2nd.
Included on day two is the return of a children’s talent contest, and AOTW organizer Michael ‘tic’ Houston says they’re looking for aspiring youngsters to take part. “We’re bringing back the kid’s talent show on the big stage Sunday from 11 am till noon, but we need more talent to come forward,” says the Finch resident who has played a key role in ensuring the continued success of the Chesterville-based festival. Houston advises interested youth and their parents to meet inside the lobby of the Community Centre (1 Mill Street) — a church service will occupy the main hall at that time — to coordinate and get ready for their moment of fame during the one-hour competition. A prize of $25 is available in two age categories.
Of course, the talent show and other children’s attractions — mostly located in the Kidz Zone behind Louis’ Restaurant — are just one facet of the family-oriented festival that draws dozens of artists and vendors to display their handiwork along Chesterville’s waterfront walkways and nearby environs. Infusing the weekend will be the sound of live music emanating from the main stage at the top of Mill Street, opposite the Community Centre, a traditional feature of AOTW.
“The musical lineup is the best ever,” says Houston. “There are some very talented bands from the Ottawa and local area including a band from Montreal — something for everyone.”
“There has also been a increase and the variety of some of the vendors this year,” he adds. “The festival gets bigger every year, with lots of ways for entire families to get involved, with events such as the Kids Talent Show and colouring contest. And did I mention, it’s free?”
Also see the official 2019 AOTW Google map, below, for the full overview of festival attractions this week. Zoom in for greater detail (and there’s much more detail to be seen.) The map also appears on the event’s official website.
“I cannot stress how much information is on our website including vendor profiles, band lineup and songs, and of course our sponsors, which make the event happen,” he points out, similarly urging the community to join AOTW’s Facebook page “for up to the minute details and more information.”
Organizers could always use more volunteers to help this weekend for a few hours, too, “and more importantly we need volunteer core positions throughout the year, such as treasurer, talent show coordinator, Kid’s zone assistant, sponsors and signage, minute taker, to help keep the event alive and grow,” he emphasizes.
See the full AOTW event schedule below.
Saturday June 1, 2019
- 8:00 AM – 10 AM Breakfast (The Gathering House)
- 10:00 AM – Opening Ceremonies (Gazebo)
- 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM Artists, Artisans, and the Waterfront Farmer’s Market, Chesterville and District Agricultural Society(Waterfront)
- 11:00 AM – Demonstration area: Highland Dancing
- 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM – Food provided by the Chesterville Fire Department (main stage area); bar available
- 12:00 PM – 6:00 PM – Music and Bar Area (south side near Library). Full Music lineup here.
- 1:00 PM – Demonstration area: Therien Martial Arts & Fitness Centre
- 2:00 PM – Demonstration area: Line Dancers
- 3:00 PM – Demonstration area: North Dundas High School Band
Kids’ Zone (behind Louis Restaurant)
- 10:30 AM – 3:30 PM – Bouncy Castle
- 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM – Crafts
- 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM – Face Painting ($3.00); chalk art contest
- 11:30 AM – Monkey Rock Music is a fun, entertaining and creative participatory music program for young children and their adult care givers
- 12:30 PM – Kids Line Dancing Tutorial
- 1:30 PM – Brad the Balloon Guy is a big hit with both kids and adults, Brad has created everything from adorable ladybugs that you can wear on your wrist to life size Star Wars figures!
- 3:30 PM Colouring Contest submissions due
Sunday, June 2, 2018
- 8 AM – 10 AM – Breakfast (The Gathering House)
- 10 – 11 AM – Church Service
- 10 AM – 4 PM – Artists, Artisans and the Waterfront Market (Waterfront), Chesterville Lions Club BBQ (Gazebo)
- 10 AM – 4 PM – Seaway Train Club (The Gathering House)
- 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM – Food provided by Simply Baked Catering (main stage area); bar available
- 12:00-5:00 PM – Music and Bar Area (south side near Library). Full Music lineup here.
- 1:30 PM – Demonstration area: Ashley Thomas School of Dance
Kids’ Zone (behind Louis Restaurant)
- 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM – Bouncy Castle; chalk art contest
- 11:00 – 12:00 PM Talent Show (main stage)
- 12:00 – 2:00 PM – Crafts
- 12:30 PM – Junkyard Symphony is an eco-entertainment company that creates extraordinary entertainment from ordinary things. The
best part is that their entertainment is suitable for all ages, involves
plenty of participation, tons of talents and lots of laughs.
Note: Schedule and locations are subject to change in case of rain.
Check out a few scenes from last year’s (2018) AOTW, below.