EMBRUN — Russell County OPP are advising members of the public to be careful while attending local gas stations as fraudsters are attempting to sell fake jewellery in exchange for gas money.
The suspects will try to pressure you into purchasing their products. Be extremely cautious!
Fraud…. Recognize it! Reject it! Report it!
Tips to protect yourself:
- Buy from companies or individuals you know by reputation or from past experience.
- Never make a deal outside a business.
- Use a credit card when shopping online; many offer protection and may give you a refund.
- Be wary of websites that contain spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.
- Read the refund and return policies carefully, including the fine print.
- Trust your instincts. If it’s too good to be true, it probably is
- Do not provide your personal information
Please refer to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre website for information about the numerous types of scams and how to protect yourself and others. If you suspect that you may be a target of fraud, don’t be embarrassed – you’re not alone. If you want to report a fraud, or if you need more information, contact The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre. http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca or Toll Free: 1-888-495-8501.
Anyone with information regarding this incident should immediately contact the Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122. Should you wish to remain anonymous, you may call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222- 8477 (TIPS), where you may be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $2,000.