Marijuana treat sends Russell child to hospital

The main drag through Russell. ©Google

RUSSELL — A young Russell child was rushed to hospital after ingesting a cannabis-laced treat.

The incident prompted Eastern Ontario Medical Officer of Health Dr. Paul Roumeliotis to warn yesterday about keeping marijuana edibles out of the hands of children. Dr. Roumeliotis said he was recently informed of the “overdose” by police.

Reported by the doctor as being between two and five years old, the involved youngster “ate some edible cannabis that was left around, cookies or I don’t know what it was,” he said, adding the child fortunately recovered.

The incident serves as “another reminder” that cannabis edibles, though legal, should be labelled and kept under lock and key, Dr. Roumeliotis emphasized with a “please, please, please.”

He said similar incidents in the region have involved the elderly inadvertently consuming the recreational drug in baked goods. The recommended security measures would also prevent their ingestion by pets, he added.

This article was updated to correct the doctor’s earlier report that the incident occurred in Cornwall. He acknowledged the mistake in a subsequent media briefing later that same week. “This was reported to us by Russell OPP, and the child was seen in Ottawa [Hospital],” reported Roumelioits, adding the child is OK.

Eastern Ontario’s Medical Officer of Health discusses the incident in his daily update, below.
In the video below, the doctor clarifies that incident involved a child in Russell.
Scroll down to share this article. Scroll down to search nationvalleynews.com. Scroll down to comment.