SDG COUNTIES – The United Counties of SDG, through a private contractor, has begun the reconstruction of the Gray’s Creek Bridge, located on County Road 2 at Boundary Road. This work is expected to continue until November and will result in the full rehabilitation of the bridge.
Starting July 6, the bridge will be closed to vehicular and cycling traffic. A detour route has been created that includes Purcell Road, Tyotown Road and Boundary Road. Bicycle lanes running under and adjacent to the bridge will likewise be closed to the public until the work is completed. The work will not impede the transit of watercraft to and from nearby Gray’s Creek Marina.
“We understand that this large project will have an impact on people who typically use Gray’s Creek Bridge as a means to travel to and from the City of Cornwall and South Glengarry,” said Transportation and Planning director Benjamin de Haan. “We appreciate the patience of motorists and cyclists as we work through this important reconstruction and look forward to the completion of the project as quickly as possible.”
The project is characterized as a ‘comprehensive rehabilitation’; which is a major repair; often only occurring one to two times during a bridge’s life.
The following work will be done:
- The failing expansion joints will be removed and replaced with a more robust system which eliminates the potential for future leaks, extending the overall life of the structure.
- The bridge soffit areas under the expansion joints will be repaired because of the leakage through the joints.
- The existing asphalt surface will be removed down to the concrete deck.
- The exposed concrete deck will be repaired. The driving surface will be waterproofed and paved. The bike path will remain as a concrete surface at the same elevation as the new asphalt.
- The existing bridge railing will be removed and replaced with a new railing which complies with current standards.