HAWKESBURY — A resident of the Prescott and Russell Residence has succumbed to COVID-19 at the Hawkesbury-based nursing home.
“The United Counties of Prescott and Russell (UCPR) confirms the first death related to COVID-19 at the Prescott and Russell Residence. The UCPR extends its sincere sympathies to the family of the resident,” says the municipal operator of the long-term care facility in a release issued earlier this evening.
The Residence has been in the midst of an outbreak since before last weekend. Numbers of infected had climbed to 35 by Monday of this week — with 27 residents and eight staff testing positive.
The death brings to 13 the total number of people who have lost their lives to the pandemic in the Eastern Ontario Health Unit’s jurisdiction; 12 people died during the pandemic’s first wave at Pinecrest Nursing Home in Plantagenet.
During his media briefing yesterday, Eastern Ontario Medical Officer of Health Dr. Paul Roumeliotis said he was concerned about the prospect of potential fatalities at the Prescott and Russell Residence due to the number of cases at that institution. “So far, things seem to be stable,” said the doctor, referring to five outbreaks now underway at seniors’ homes in his jurisdiction. “I, too, fear a high mortality rate among this population, but let’s cross our fingers.”
Below, Dr. Roumeliotis acknowledges his fear of a high mortality rate among the infected seniors’ population at the Prescott and Russell Residence and other Eastern Ontario institutions now in outbreak.