Second doses administered to Dundas Manor residents — but not staff amid dwindling vaccine supply

Left photo: Resident Annie Bouwhuis celebrates with Cornwall-SDG Paramedic Mike. Right photo: Garry Gainer was one of the first residents to get the second dose.

WINCHESTER — Residents at Dundas Manor received their second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine on Saturday, February 6th — but not staff.

The booster shots of Pfizer-BioNTech product were put into the arms of residents 22 days after the first 312 doses were administered at the Winchester-based nursing home. However, that earlier number included staff, physicians and essential caregivers. That’s not the case this time; amid a dwindling vaccine supply, LTC residents are at the very top of the queue, ahead of even the workers in the facilities where they live.

Staff and essential caregivers will continue to be tested for COVID-19 on a weekly basis.

Cornwall-SDG paramedics and nurses from the Eastern Ontario Health Unit assisted at Saturday’s clinic.

“It was another successful day, and we are so happy that our residents are now protected,” noted Manor Administrator Susan Poirier. “We will continue to do everything we can to keep everyone safe.”

Perhaps the best comments came from Facebook when the announcement went out. “You are working so hard on the well-being of residents, staff and community — inspiring!” noted Manjit Banga Aitken. “Fantastic folk — glad you have been looked after in this worrisome time. Thanks to everyone,” added Jean Porteous. And there was even an animated Tony the Tiger yelling GRRRRRREAT!

Although the residents have now received both vaccines, all safety protocols such as wearing masks, the use of personal protective equipment, and visitor restrictions will remain in place. To date, no resident of Dundas Manor has ever tested positive for COVID-19.

Canadian authorities now say it’s OK to wait up to 42 days for the required second shot of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, although the manufacturer recommends 21 days. In this region, Eastern Ontario Medical Officer of Health Dr. Paul Roumeliotis has predicted that those who have received their first needle will wait no more than 21 to 27 days for the second.


Scroll down to share this article. Scroll down to search Scroll down to comment.