MORRISBURG — Upper Canada Village has opened for its regular season, though a slew of restrictions are still in force as Ontario sheds the yoke of pandemic policies with all the speed of rural life in the 19th century.
Guests did get a sneak peek at the Village through limited edition walking tours in June. But as of July 1 — this year’s official opening — visitors can now explore the outdoor setting of the Village at their own pace.
However, until Ontario enters Stage three of its COVID-19 reopening plan, guests will be limited to taking a “glance” inside the buildings at the tourist attraction, says the St. Lawrence Parks Commission (SLPC). Village buildings won’t “fully reopen” until then. Likewise, the various rides at the site — the carry-alls, train and tow scow — aren’t operating yet, either.
The SLPC says welcoming guests back safely remains a top priority. “Staff will be relying on the cooperation of all to adhere to physical distancing and onsite guidelines.”
Guests should know that:
▪ Tickets must be purchased online at www.UpperCanadaVillage.com prior to arrival as visits will be time-ticketed with limited tickets available.
▪ General admission is $20 (plus HST), admission for youth between 5 and 12 is $16 (plus HST) and children under 5 are free.
▪ Opening hours are 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., 7 days a week (last entry at 3:30 p.m.)
▪ Parking is available at no charge onsite.
▪ Guests will be required to self-assess their health and will be encouraged not to visit attractions if there is any possibility that they may have contracted or have come into contact with COVID-19. Guests will be pre-screened prior to entering the site.
▪ All guests will have to follow physical distancing rules as mandated by the Ontario government. Guests must stay 2 metres away from others. Staff will monitor and educate guests on physical distancing rules.
▪ Cleaning practices have been enhanced throughout the tour route and restrooms.
▪ Guests may bring their own personal protective equipment; gloves, masks and/or face coverings, hand sanitizer and disinfectant cleaning products if they wish.